Cool Lessons

"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea." Antoine-Marie-Roger de Saint-Exupery

My Photo
Name:
Location: Elgin, Illinois, United States

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Hello

Permit me to introduce this web log and myself. The purpose of this blog is to share some thoughts about education.

As to vitae, I am most proud of being a teacher in public and private schools, here and abroad, for thirty-four years. I am presently a full time educational consultant (Cool Lessons Consulting) working with many schools to help teachers ensure all children have access to quality engaged learning activities.

David Thornburg has said "If someone brings a lot of new technology into your school district, and doesn't provide staff development, the only thing that will change is your electric bill." This quotation spotlights my role: I am a teacher, not a techie. We all admire techies for the wonderful tools they create and keep running. I help focus these tools on helping teachers to help student to learn better.

I have taught for Aurora University (Aurora IL) as an adjunct Instructor and have presented for multiple Role of Technology in Education Conferences and at a National Educator's Computer Conference. I've also presented at multiple Kane County Office of Education workshops, multiple School District U-46 and private schools' staff development workshops. My web pages at http://www.classblogmeister.com/www.coollessons.org, as well as the graduate courses, workshops, presentations, etc. permit me to help teachers explore other, more effective ways their students can learn.

The learning experiences I endorse through inclusion in my web pages are effective not only because of technology, but because they also involve students in activities that challenge them to solve problems by doing quality research, analyzing and rearranging information, synthesizing possibilities, making judgments and then creating interesting products in order to communicate their results. Technology can be used as tools in making these exciting learning experiences even deeper, richer and more motivating. It can give new purposes to learning. It can be used to transform the way students learn.

Awards and recognitions include: Kane County (IL) Middle School Educator of the Year Award; Kane County Distinguished Educator Award; Dolores Kohl Foundation Award for Outstanding Service in the Field of Education. The web site http:/www.coollessons.org has also won a number of awards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home